There are a few tricks that can be used to ensure a basic level of success on social media.
For those of you that aren’t as social media savvy as you’d like to be, but can see the potential for growing your business, there are some set procedures you can follow to get your foot in the door.
The rule of thirds
Hootsuite, a well-known company that provides tools and systems to make social media marketing easier, have developed something called “the rule of thirds”. The idea behind this rule is that there are three kinds of things you should be doing on social media.
How can you know where you want to go and what you want to do in the future if you don’t know what you’re doing today?
- One third of your posts should promote your business, aim to convert readers, and generate profits
Sharing your own content, direct promotion of your business, and linking back to your website are perfectly fine, and essential, social media activities. They just shouldn’t make up all of your social media activity.
- One third of your posts should come from sharing ideas, stories, and content from influencers in your industry and like-minded businesses
When you share ideas and thoughts from people at the forefront of your industry it shows that as a business you are aware of trends and developments. It also shows you’re aware of your competition and aren’t threatened by them when you share their content. A bonus of sharing other businesses’ content is reaching their audience members too, effectively doubling you own social media reach.
- One third of your posts should be based on personal interactions and focus on building a personal brand
Social media is called social media for a reason: it’s a way to engage, talk, and interact with people. These people could include:
- Potential customers
- Business partners
By engaging with these people you have the opportunity to share interesting content (that isn’t your own), share any content from customers, and generally engage and interact with people that follow you. It also opens up your business, showing a more human side. You should like, comment, and reply to any replies to posts you make.
Remarketing is a method of digital marketing that makes use of social media to show paid adverts to people on social media that have already visited your website. Data shows that people who have already visited a website are more likely to visit it again, and more likely to spend money on it. It works like this:
- Visitors come to your website
- You split them into segments or groups (using any of the free tools available to you)
- You then create custom adverts for each segment
- You use social media to show these ads